Monday 9 May 2011

The Reason For Rape: Man's Motivation Cont. (3)

Hello, World.
       In my previous blog post, I started discussing the possible reasons for rape. I wanted to explore possible explanations, triggers, or influences that encourage men to commit crimes of sexual violence against women. In this post, I will talk more about men attempting to get away with raping or using blame, or excuses to keep their record clean as well as encourage them to rape again in the future.
       Additionally, it must be taken into consideration that men constantly pursue ways of having better sex. A seemingly obvious explanation for rape in fact is quite honest and powerful: Some men rape women simply because it is 'hot'. The same survey in UCLA shows statistics about attractive aspects of rape in men's opinion. The same educated boys also stated, for example, that: "93.1% liked to dominate women during sex" and "63.5% got excited to see a woman struggle over sex" (165). Men, although I think is not a justifiable 'excuse', commit rape actions for fantasy purposes, and unfortunately, these are fed by women's rape fantasies.
       Finally, some men claim to misunderstand women's expressions, although I personally think it's difficult to mishear a capital 'NO!', or to not feel a violent struggle. Men blame many things such as alcohol, drugs, women's clothing, etc. but I think it's pretty evident that rape is within a man's control. Men also sometimes state that women asked to be raped. The same UCLA survey stated that : 83.5% of boys said that some women just look like they're asking to get raped." (165). Well, by definition, it isn't rape if they ask for it. 
       When a man attempts to blame rape on something else, especially the woman, they give themselves a mentality saying "if I can get away with it this time, I can get away with it again in the future". The ugly truth is that rapist often are found 'non-guilty' because lawyers hammer the prosecutors, but also because women are 1) insecure and end up giving in to the pressure or 2) are too scared or embarrassed to share their story and challenge a male oppressor. Although I fully understand the bravery it takes, I urge female victims to stand up for themselves in order to better the world and the rape problem.
       Unfortunately, I haven't developed a concrete answer to why men commit rape. In my opinion, rape seems so grotesque and foreign that I'm glad I can't find a legitimate reason but I do understand more why rape occurs: because they are influenced to do so, because it seems 'okay', because they find it 'hot', or because they feel they can get away with it/blame it on something else.
       In my next post in this sequence, I will discuss the consequences of rape: the effects on women's bodies, their sex-life, and their views of men.

Goodnight, World.

No comments:

Post a Comment